Traditionally, when you decide to have a baby, it becomes all about the baby - names, room colors, birth plans, etc. But is learning about babies and birth the best way to prepare for life as a mom? People offer vague advice like "just you wait" or "it's so hard but I wouldn't trade it for anything. You'll see." Well how does that really help you?
I spent years working with families, and I can tell you what makes a great mom. (No one tell you what motherhood will be like for you. You get to decide that.)
So what's the secret to having happy, amazing kids?
Providing the best opportunities, education, nutrition, and experiences doesn't automatically guarantee happy kids. We all know the richest kids sometimes are the most unhappy. So if it's not food, money, and shelter than what is it?
It's about the mom. Happy moms make happy kids.
What are happy moms?
First of all they aren't 100% focused on the kids, they don't try to be perfect, they know themselves well, and know how to enjoy life. They've done some personal work, have great boundaries, and follow their intuition (not the crowd, experts, or even their own moms). You can read more about other essential mom skills here.
Read on to get some more ideas on how you can prepare for motherhood, not just a baby.
Getting ready for baby:
- baby focused
- infant care
- baby CPR
- baby-proofing home
- painting baby room
- getting finances in order
- bigger car
- baby clothes
- baby shower
- baby classes
- reading parenting books
- getting parenting advice
Getting ready for motherhood:
- you focused
- strengthening your relationship with your partner, so you can show your kids what love is
- learning to ask for help, so you won't wake up resentful and bitter
- finding your true-self, so you can be happy and not rely on your kids to make you happy
- listening to your intuition, so you can do what is best for your family
- creating your vision of motherhood, so it will be FUN
- self-forgiveness, so you can be free of guilt
- finding your happiness, so you can show your kids how to find there's
- knowing how to take care of yourself, so you can be your best self
- following your bliss, so life is joyful and meaningful
- loving yourself, so you can show your kids how to love themselves
- accepting your body, so your daughter will love hers
- feeling full, loved, and whole, so your kids will feel the same
- re-parenting yourself, so you won't make your kids do it
- and more!
Although they can definitely overlap, it's important to prepare for both motherhood & baby.
If you want to know more about becoming a happy mom sign up for our online Mom Class. Or download our free mom prep journal to get started on thinking of ways you can start empowering yourself now to be an amazing mom.